Wet Sock Treatment
Effects of the Wet Sock Treatment
This treatment acts to reflexively increase the circulation and decrease congestion in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat. It has a sedating action and many patients report that they sleep much better during the treatment. This treatment is also effective for pain relief and increases the healing response during acute infections.
- 1 pair white cotton socks
- 1 pair thick wool socks
- Warm bath or warm foot bath
- Take a pair of cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip.
- Place wet socks in the freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- Take a hot bath to raise your core body temperature.
- Dry off feet and body with a dry towel.
- Take cold, wet socks out of the freezer and place on feet. Cover with thick wool socks.
- Go directly to bed. Cover up with blankets and avoid getting chilled.
- Keep the socks on overnight. You will find that the wet cotton socks will be dry in the morning.